Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Doubly Fancy Schmancy

I had someone ask me to explain this hairstyle a little more step-by-step. So, I hope that Jenn from Girly Do's is okay with me doing a little more in depth tutorial on this "Doubly Fancy Schmancy" 'do. Here is a link to her original "Fancy" hairstyle. I have to tell you all that this woman is AMAZING when it comes to ideas for hairstyles. She has so many great ideas and she is very good at explaining things. And, her pictures are incredible. You would never know that my hubby does photography because I am not talented in that aspect. But, if you haven't been to Girly Do's, well, you had better visit her!


Okay, start out by making three rows of six piggies across. Here is a side view of the three rows.


On the top row, flip the piggies under for a little extra flair. You don't HAVE to do this step, it just makes the top look a little more pretty.


Here is the bottom view. I also flipped these piggies, but, like I said, you don't HAVE to.


Now, once you get all 18 piggies done (and flipped) you take the piggies on the right and attatch them to the piggies on the left. If numbers help, take front piggy 4 over to middle piggy 1. Take front piggy 5 over to middle piggy 2. Take front piggy 6 over to middle piggy 3.


Repeat this process on the bottom. Bottom 4 to middle 1. Bottom 5 to middle 2. And bottom 6 to middle 3.

Then, you do the same thing with the other side. Only this time, you weave the strands over and under the piggies that are already attatched. To weave, just go over the first strand, under the second and over the third. Then, with your second strand, go under, over, under. With the third strand, go over, under, over. I think a Topsy-Tail would work wonders to weave with, but since I don't own one, I just use my fingers and my comb. So, front 1 to middle 4. Front 2 to middle 5. And front 3 to middle 6.

Again, follow with the bottom. Bottom 1 to middle 4. Bottom 2 to middle 5. And bottom 3 to middle 6. Weave as you go.


Once you are done attatching and weaving the piggies, make your messy buns. Now, I am NOT good at messy buns. If anyone has a sure-fire way to get a good messy bun every time, I would love you for sharing. I just scrunch up the hair into a ball and put a tiny elastic around the base of it, then spread it out until it looks good.
This hair-do should take a long time; about half an hour. I didn't have that much time once I got started because Al just didn't want to sit still for pictures. So, there are lots of flyaways, too. But, hopefully you get the idea. If anyone has suggestions to help with flyaways, I would love you for that one, too! Good luck and let me know how it works out!

5 comments:

m e g h a n said...

Damn!!!That looks amazing! I am glad you did a more in depth tut. not that jenns wasnt good, but Holy. Yours looks beautiful also, How long did it take. I want to do this on my nieces now!!

prettyprettyprincesshair said...

Oh wow!!! I LOVE that one!! I wish I could do it!! I need to try that one for sure!

Anonymous said...

I have such a hard time with the weaving thing thanks for going more in depth on that maybe someday you could do pic's of how you do the weave? Love this hairstyle one of my very favorites!

Unknown said...

This is so cute! I tried it on Jackie today & it turned out good. Also...She did not look Chineese today. I gave her a break.

Becky @ Babes in Hairland said...

Hey Joann -- Surprise - you won my last give away - the scarf & mirror! Congrats! I didn't have your e-mail, so hopefully you get this. I need your mailing address so I can ship those your way! Yahoo!